Mother Matters also offers a Prenatal Breastfeeding Workshop!
In-home Breastfeeding support - $200/hr +HST
Oakville clinic visits - $100/hr + HST - OHIP coverage available
Initial visits generally require 1.5 hrs of consultation. Most breastfeeding situations can be resolved in one or two visits.
If you and your baby need specialized breastfeeding support, please contact us to arrange for a home consultation with one of our International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC).
- If you are experiencing persistent breast or nipple pain
- If your nipples are cracked, bruised or blistered
- If your baby is not able to latch, or is latching inconsistently
- If your baby is not gaining weight adequately
- If you have been advised to supplement and you wish to preserve breastfeeding
- If you have, or suspect you have, a breast infection
- If you have an overabundant milk supply
- If you have a history of breast surgery
- If your baby arrived early
- If you feel that breastfeeding is just not going well
- If you or your baby are finding breastfeeding frustrating
- If you desire to breastfeed a baby you did not, or will not, give birth to
- If you have recently weaned your baby and wish to relactate
- If you need assistance developing a plan for returning to work or school
- If you decide that breastfeeding is just not for you, and you need information about weaning gracefully and using alternate feeding methods
A Lactation Consultation includes:
- History taking
- Visual and physical assessment of the parent’s breasts/chest
- Visual and physical assessment of the child’s mouth
- Observation of the parent and child feeding
- Analysis of the information in relation to the feeding situation
- Demonstration of techniques for improving feeding
- Occasionally suggesting the use of feeding equipment and/or supplements
Please contact us to arrange an appointment.
Payment for IBCLC services are due at the time of service by cash, cheque, email transfer or credit card. HST applies.
Breastfeeding your baby results in an intimate bond between mother and baby with positive lifelong effects. Breastmilk offers optimal nutrition and immune support for your baby.
While breastfeeding is natural and simple, it is an art that needs to be learned and practiced. Mothers and babies learn to breastfeed by breastfeeding!
Motivation, accurate information, and support are the ingredients you need to reach your breastfeeding goals.
In all Mother Matters Prenatal Courses and Workshops, you will learn:
- Why breastfeeding is the normal way to feed your baby
- How to get breastfeeding off to a good start
- How to position and latch your baby
- How to prevent sore nipples
- How to ensure a plentiful milk supply
- How to be sure your baby is getting enough milk
- How to recognize and prevent problems
- What to expect in the first few weeks